FALL OF ADAM, ORIGINAL SIN AND FREE WILL

PROF. M. M. NINAN

TABLE OF CONTENTS

PREFACE

CHAPTER ONE: Jewish understanding of  the Fall of Man 

CHAPTER TWO:     Allegorical Interpretations 

a   The school of alexandria

B   ALLEGORICAL INTERPRETATIONS WITHIN EARLY CHRISTIAN FATHERS 

c   CHRISTIAN PLATONISM  The Monomyth of Fall and Salvation 

C   Jungian Personality Theory 

CHAPTER THREE:   WHAT IS THE ORIGINAL SIN?

A   The Hedge around the Law: Sinning by Making Extra Rules 

B   Mormon Falling Upward theory 

C   FALL PRE ORDAINED BY GOD THEORY

D   Premature Sex Theory

E   THE DOCTRINE OF THE SERPENT SEED 

F   Two Seed Theory

G   Race Mixing Theory 

H   DEvELOPMENT OF THE DOCTRINE OF FALL 

CHAPTER FOUR     The Knowledge of Good and Evil  

A    YETZER HARA 

B    Yetzer haTov 

CHAPTER FIVE      THE PROBLEM OF SERPENT SATAN 

CHAPTER SIX       Reward and Redemption 

CHAPTER SEVEN   TRANSMISSION OF HEREDITY 

CHAPTER EIGHT    CHURCH FATHERS ON FREE WILL to 300AD 

CHAPTER NINE     QUANTUM FREEWILL   

CHPTER TEN      THE PROBLEM OF DEATH        

 

 

PREFACE

 

 

This is a sequel to my earlier study “Love that will not Let me go”

 

In that book I have reviews the Genesis 1-3 story of Adam and Eve from the point of view that Jesus gave us.  Jesus taught us that God is Love and God is Our Father.  Instead of an angry Middle European Feudal Lord and King, God is really portrayed in Genesis as a Loving Father.

 

This is a sequel to that study in the nature of the disobedience, the nature of the fruit of the two trees, the fall and the consequence of the fall.

 

This study started as a study essentially on the Jewish understanding of the Adam and Eve story on the basis that it is jewish story.  The story was written by Moses or at least it is a jewish heritage. It soon became apparent that their understanding differed considerably from the Christian understanding and interpretation.

 

There is a contest on whether the whole story is history or allegory. I was even surprised to hear a Jewish rabbi saying it is only an allegory on the television.  Even taking the story as an allegory, no one has been able to crack the meaning and significance of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and why was it forbidden for the new kids God placed in the garden.  The meaning of the Tree of life however is clear that those who eat of the tree of life will become immortal.  None of the Apostles who had been with Jesus deals with the subject.  Even Paul who interpreted the disobedience as a serious offense does not even try to explain what it was all about.

 

This is a very humble beginning of a strange journey through uncharterd territory.

 

St.Paul got it correct about the inheritance of fathers to the children - regarding the physical and emotional and spiritual characteristics- long before DNA was even dreamt of. Up to 60% of characteristics are inherited while the other 40% are acquired from environment and experience.  If anything the human race acquired from the assertive active Adam and Eve is the assertion of freewill.  Freewill potentiality is written within the creation of even the physical material world and the sentient consciousness of the living.  Surprisingly the entire church fathers are in agreement on it until 300 AD.  I did a collection of their sayings and are included in the study.  Ultimately of course freewill is a part of life force, which is the phenomena connected with the Spiritual dimension of the created world.  Isn’t this what we call life?  How do we define

 

This is just a collection of theological thoughts of different people who belong to the different  traditions, from Moses to the 21st century.  I have mostly quoted directly instead of trying to summarize and explain. Hope this will be of help to those who seek the Way.

 

Prof. M. M. Ninan
Normal, IL 61761

Oct, 2016